The Mighty Mighty Dex.

When preparing for my upcoming to trip to Kuwait which ran from the first week of April to the second week of May I decided that it was the perfect time to try the Samsung Dex.
maxresdefault
Now I have used Dex from time to time, but it was in a controlled environment which allowed me to switch over to Surface Pro if something went wrong.
However, on the trip, I would have no such support to fall back on because I decided to leave my Surface Pro behind and I wasn’t going to run around Kuwait looking for Internet Cafes. So it was going to me, my Note 8, Dex, a Bluetooth keyboard, mouse and an HDMI cable to plug into whatever monitor/screen would be available at my location.samsung-dex-station_thumb800
Of course, I made sure this work as smooth as possible by testing Dex thoroughly before leaving.
Enough pregame talk time for some highlights from the game.
Samsung outdid themselves with the Dex Station for it gets the job done and I can say this from using Dex almost six hours a day for nearly a month and a half. Simply put it works, dock your phone into the station, plug in your HDMI cable, set up your peripherals (keyboard and mouse), and you’re ready to go.1200px-Samsung_DeX_dock_with_S8,_plugged_into_monitor
If your work or your day to day to use includes using Microsoft Office products Dex is definitely for you as all of Microsoft’s apps run smoothly in Dex and look pretty good in full-screen glory.
For me, that wasn't the case, and I was still able to get all my work and classwork done. Now there have been more than a few complaints leveled against the Dex Station, and to me, it has more to do with the limitations of Android on a large screen than Samsung Dex itself.AndroidPIT-samsung-dex-dock-4091-w782
Samsung Dex has taken more than a few shots from reviewers and users alike. Most of which I disagree with you for many reasons but one main one.
Samsung Dex is a business product, its design for productivity not for gaming though you can, not for streaming Netflix, Hulu, etc. though you can. Dex is for getting work done. Again I know the Dex can perform all these tasks and for the most part, it handles them well. However, once you venture down this path, you may run into some problems or at least you may not have the best experience. When it comes to getting work done Samsung Dex is your guy. If you’re a road warrior, remote worker, or maybe you want a second workstation at home Samsung Dex is definitely worth the try.dex-dock
Tidbits…
This is my personal experience with the Samsung Dex Dock and the newly released Samsung Dex Pad which brings a few more things to the table such as the ability to power displays at 2560x1440 while Dex Dock was only 1080. Plus the Dex Pad allows you to use your phone as a trackpad which makes your Dex set up even more portable.nexus2cee_dexpad-728x485
However, that comes at a cost as you will the ethernet port and depending on you are at wifi maybe spotty. Other than the Dex Pad and Dex Dock are the same….
For more information on the Samsung Dex click here

Comments

Popular Posts